Make Up ACT and PSAT Test Day

Liv Mossage, Reporter

It’s no secret that the COVID-19 virus has disrupted the normalities of high school. One thing that has not changed, however, is that the ACT and PSAT will still be taken by Burke students on September 22nd. The testing session will be hosted at Burke, even though school classes are 100% online.. Of course, with COVID, there have been some significant challenges in making sure students can have the safest testing environment possible.

One of the many challenges has been making sure there is enough room to social distance the test-takers. “Testing rooms have always had less than 18 students per room, and many under 16,” Burke Testing Director Kathleen Mauseth said. “This year I will use even more rooms to make that number lower.”

As testing day draws nearer, many students are having heightened anxieties about the test. Students are studying to prepare to do their best, and many are not doing much else. “It’s really stressful because the test helps us get into college and my parents are always pushing me to get a high score,” senior Lauren Rourke said.  “The amount of work and stress that I put on myself just makes my anxiety worse.”

Mauseth, however, is excited for what the test will bring. “I am excited to have students in the building,” she said. “That will be an energizing day for all the staff.” Whatever testing day will bring, it is sure to be new and exciting.