The 2019-2020 College Football Season Wrapped

Drew Ferguson, Writer

Now that the 2019-2020 College Football season has come to a close, it’s time to recap all of the biggest moments, let downs, and surprises from another exciting year for football fans. In this article I will be breaking down everything that stood out to me from the season.

Biggest Flop: Nebraska

Before the season got started many fans, and even experts, expected Nebraska to have one of their best records in recent years. That dream unfortunately did not come into fruition. The Cornhuskers had yet another disappointing season, finishing with a 5-7 record in Scott Frost’s second year as head coach. Adrian Martinez had a lackluster season in comparison to his Freshman campaign. With only 10 touchdowns and 9 interceptions, the Sophomore captain did not live up to the expectations that were set up for him. I personally believe he underperformed due to his injury and the high hopes from basically everyone in the country, the pressure got to him. Nebraska is looking to turn heads next year and finally show what they’ve been working for. With a top 20 recruiting class and multiple returning starters from each side of the ball, Scott Frost and the rest of the team are looking to put on a show.

Biggest Turnaround: Minnesota

After a 7-5 finish for the 2018-2019 season, not a whole lot of people expected Minnesota to be a top 20 team and especially not a top 10 team for a few weeks in the season. The Golden Gophers were undefeated through 9 weeks in the season with big wins against Penn St and Nebraska, making a push for the CFB Playoff in PJ Fleck’s third year as head coach. Although Minnesota finished the year 2-2 in their last four games, they had their first 10 win season since 1905 and put the College Football world on notice. With games against Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan in their first five weeks of the 2020 season, Minnesota will be heavily tested in order to prove that they are a top team in the country.

Biggest Surprise: Alabama

Alabama is one of the greatest franchises in the history of College Football and dominated the 2010’s, and even though they finished with an 11-2 record with losses to LSU and Auburn by a combined 6 points, the Crimson Tide ended the season with more than 1 loss for the first time since 2013. Many of you are probably thinking that “11-2 is a very strong record and Alabama doesn’t deserve any slander” which are agreeable statements, but considering that they finished out of the top 5 for the first time since 2013 and weren’t in the CFB Playoff for the first time since it was introduced in 2014, many people were surprised how the high-powered program finished the season.

Best Team: LSU

After being the only undefeated team in the country and winning the National Championship by 3 scores, there is no debate that LSU was the best team for the 2019 season. With Joe Burrow leading the way, 2 wide receivers with over 1,000 yards, a running back with 16 touchdowns, one of the best defenses in the nation, and an average margin of victory of 38.7 points, LSU kept a cool 15-0 record while being among the top 3 in the AP Poll for a large part of the season.

Most Overlooked: Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State

Chuba Hubbard was not a household name to begin the 2019 season, and it’s safe to say many people still don’t know about him. In 2019, Hubbard lead the country in carries, yards, and was tied for 3rd in touchdowns among running backs. Even with stats like these, many failed to see him as one of the nations top players. Oklahoma State finished the season 8-5 and was ranked 25 in the final AP poll for 2019. Heading into his junior season, we can expect Chuba Hubbard to continue to show up defenses week after week.

Best Player: Joe Burrow

Joe Burrow had arguably the best season we’ve seen from a college athlete. With a record breaking 60 touchdowns, only 6 interceptions, 5,671 yards, a 76.3 completion percentage, and a National Championship to top it off, it’s hard to keep Burrow out of the discussion for the most impressive season ever. With 4 and 5 Star weapons on offense, LSU made it look easy against nearly every team they played. Joe Burrow was a large reason for this and was basically a unanimous decision for the Heisman, the most prestigious award in College Football.

College Football fans, only 213 more days until the start of the 2020 season! Yes, I’m counting.