Air & Space Academy prepares students for the future

The RV-12, built by our Bulldogs is ready to be flown at Millard Airport. Photo courtesy of Dara Rosenberg.

Lexie Worden, Reporter

The Burke Air & Space Academy serves as a space for students who are interested in going into the field of aviation, preparing students for lifelong opportunities in college and beyond. The Air & Space Academy provides a flight simulator for students, allowing them to test ride in the real environment as if they were flying an airplane.

Even last year, Burke graduates Tyler & Scott Swanson completed their private pilot check ride, meaning that they can legally fly a plane.

The Air & Space Academy has lots to offer for Burke students who are interested in pursuing aviation.

On Feb. 20, after 3.5 years of building an airplane, students were given the experience of building their own RV-12, a completely aluminum 2 seater, single engine plane that weighs just under 800 pounds without fuel.

Mr. Jim Beyer, a mentor for many of the aviator students, plans on flying the RV-12 for 10 hours to deem it applicable with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) before the students are able to go on it.

“I first started working on the airplane when I was a freshman. As someone who is fascinated by how things work, it was super interesting to be building something as technical as an airplane,” senior Jackson Riha said.

Many students in the Air & Space Academy were given this special opportunity to get to work on a plane, which isn’t often offered to students.

“I went into building knowing absolutely nothing about airplanes, or how to build them. After a while, you catch on to how different parts work, and seeing the different systems being built has the same effect,” Riha said.

The Air & Space Academy was televised by WOWT 6 and KETV News, and they were accompanied by administration, mentors, and families to see history being made at Millard Airport.