The Student News Site of Burke High School

The Burke Beat

BULLDOG SCORES
  • Jan 26 / Girls Varsity BasketballBurke - 62, Omaha South - 56
  • Jan 26 / Boys Varsity BasketballBurke - 51, Omaha South - 72
  • Jan 23 / Girls Varsity BasketballBurke - 39, Bellevue East - 81
  • Jan 23 / Boys Varsity BasketballBurke - 69, Bellevue East - 63
  • Jan 20 / Girls Varsity BasketballBurke - 64, Omaha Northwest - 50
  • Jan 20 / Boys Varsity BasketballBurke - 75, Omaha Northwest - 69
  • Jan 18 / Girls Varsity BasketballBurke - 25, Papillion-La Vista - 80
  • Jan 18 / Boys Varsity BasketballBurke - 53, Papillion-La Vista - 70
  • Jan 18 / Boys BowlingBurke - 20, Omaha South - 1
  • Jan 18 / Girls BowlingBurke - 18, Omaha South - 3

The Burke Beat

The Burke Beat

OPINION: Mali’s Story: A Reflection on Animal Welfare in Captivity

The story of Mali, an elephant living in captivity at the Manila Zoo in the Philippines, has sparked extensive debates and concerns among animal rights activists. Mali’s recent passing brings to the forefront the ethical considerations surrounding the welfare of animals in captivity. This essay delves into Mali’s life, the efforts made to improve her situation, and the broader implications for animal welfare in zoos. 

Mali spent several decades at the Manila Zoo, captivating visitors with her majestic presence. Despite the attention she received, her living conditions and well-being were a source of concern. Mali lived alone, which raised questions about her social needs and the impact on her mental health. The limited space and lack of an appropriate environment for elephants further exacerbated these concerns. 

Numerous animal rights organizations, including PETA, campaigned for Mali’s transfer to a sanctuary that could provide her with a more suitable habitat and companionship. High-profile individuals, such as musician Paul McCartney, also joined the cause, raising awareness about Mali’s situation and the need for her relocation. Despite these efforts, Mali remained at the Manila Zoo until her passing. 

Mali’s story highlights the ethical dilemmas surrounding the existence of zoos. While zoos can contribute to conservation efforts and provide educational opportunities, the welfare of individual animals must be a top priority. Critics argue that confining animals to limited spaces, away from their natural habitats and social structures, can lead to physical and psychological distress. This raises important questions about the balance between conservation goals and the well-being of individual animals. 

Mali’s declining health and eventual passing underscore the significance of providing appropriate care and welfare for animals in captivity. Regular veterinary check-ups, access to suitable habitats, and opportunities for social interaction are crucial for their physical and mental well-being. It is imperative that zoos prioritize these aspects to ensure the ethical treatment of animals under their care. Mali’s story serves as a poignant reminder of the complex issues surrounding animal welfare in zoos. By learning from Mali’s story, we can strive to create a more compassionate and responsible approach to the existence of zoos, prioritizing the well-being of individual animals while still promoting education and conservation efforts.