Nebraska bill protects students journalistic rights

Lexie Worden

On Jan. 11, 2017, LB206 was introduced by Senator Adam Morfeld.

LB206 is “for an act relating to journalism; to define terms; to provide protection for freedom of speech and freedom of the press for student journalists; to provide protection for student media advisers; to provide immunity for schools; and to provide exceptions.”

This bill means that school-sponsored media that is written, published or broadcasted by a student journalist can not be censored by administration.

New Voices is a movement enacted by activists who are passionate about protecting student press freedom.

Currently there are 14 states; Arkansas, California, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington that are impacted by the New Voices bills.

I had the opportunity to talk to Sen. Morfeld, who introduced LB206, and discuss his own experience with censorship.

In high school, Morfeld created an independent newspaper, otherwise known as an underground newspaper.

“It was very memorable being told that I was going to be expelled because we weren’t reporting on anything crazy. There was nothing controversial. The only thing that was controversial for the principal was the fact that we had a paper,” Morfeld said. 

There is simply no other reason why administration wants to censor students ideas other than for power. Administration is worried about making the school look good rather than bringing about actual issues that we have.

“I talk to school administrators and there is no real good excuse for it other than they want to be in control,” Morfeld said. “It just seems very petty and not a justifiable or irrational reason to justify censored people’s voice and first amendment rights.”

I believe that LB206 is important because it will no longer hold me, and others, back from writing what we feel is important. Students should not be scared, they should be heard. This fear is holding back the importance of student journalism.

This bill resists the demeaning affects of the 1988 Hazelwood vs. Kuhlmeier case, in which a student-led newspaper wrote an article discussing teen pregnancy which was deemed as “inappropriate” by school administration.

The court rulers found that the principal who censored the article was not violating first amendment rights.

Ever since Hazelwood vs. Kuhlmeier, students have been scared to speak up because they are afraid that they will get in trouble by administration. By doing this, we are letting administration censor the creative minds of students that have passions, dreams, and talents that are being crushed all because of the inequity student journalists are facing due to administration’s desire to protect the school by making it look good.

Last year, a senior at our school, Grace Martis, was censored from the newspaper because of an article she wrote about the Golden Army, a group of boys known to lead the chants at football and basketball games. In this article, Grace revealed the inappropriate actions made by this group of students despite the support it was receiving by administration. Concluding the article, Grace came up with a resolution to solve this problem.

Administration approached Grace because administration was disappointed that Grace didn’t ask for approval for the article to be published, and because administration wished that Grace would’ve approached administration with the problem first instead of publishing an article.

This issue wasn’t being dealt with properly which provoked Grace to put her article on private because she felt like it was unnecessary to keep arguing her case that she felt wasn’t being properly listened to. Grace had the right to address what she felt was inappropriate in her newspaper article, and she had her own platform to display her opinion.

As a result of the censorship, our Digital Journalism staff has been hesitant on releasing news that we believe is important to share. If nobody else is talking about it, we should be the ones to speak up about it because we have a platform. We shouldn’t feel scared, we should feel inspired that there are people relying on us to report news, despite controversies.

“I don’t think that there is a time in our history that strong robust journalism has ever been more important for our democracy,” Morfeld said. “To me, this bill protects students first amendment rights, but also tells students and sends a message to students that journalism is important. It’s protected by the state, and it’s a right you have to exercise. It’s important what you’re doing.”