Volleyball tournament raises money for Boys & Girls Club

Kayla Doll

On Nov.10, team “Safe Sets” celebrates a point won during a game in the DECA volleyball tournament.

On Wednesday, Nov. 10, Burke DECA hosted a volleyball tournament for Burke students to play in. Each team consisted of 6 members as well as a team manager, and it cost five dollars per person to participate. All proceeds were funded towards the Boys and Girls Club, making this fun event an effective fundraiser. There were prizes awarded to the winning team for their achievements.

All eleven teams in the tournament started by playing six games in their specific pool of teams. Once every game had been played and the points were added up, the top four teams went on to play in the final games.

“My favorite part of the tournament has definitely got to be the competition and the competitiveness of everyone because you’re just always having so much fun, and when you win, it’s always a little better,” freshman Lea Hanson said.

This tournament gave many Burke students the opportunity to engage in fun physical activity with peers while also supporting a good cause. Participants contributed to the positive environment at Burke by keeping good sportsmanship throughout the tournament. Although games could get very competitive, teams would congratulate the opposing group after every match.

“We really have been trying to keep the energy up throughout each game,” sophomore Cameron Humlicek said. “Whenever someone messes up, we don’t get mad at them. Something that has helped us do well throughout this tournament is supporting each other no matter what happens.”

One of the most important aspects of this tournament was that it was a fundraiser for charity. Burke DECA member, senior Kira Shaffar, coordinated this event alongside senior Colton Billings for a school project while also raising money for a good cause.

“Considering that we were hosting a sports tournament, DECA wanted to give back to an organization that would directly help all kids and teens in the area get to play sports and become more involved in their community,” Shaffar said. “I think it is very important for everyone to have a place to call their own, so the Boys and Girls Club was the perfect group to donate to.

This tournament was very successful, as many Burke students participated and had a good time. They raised a total of $300 for the Boys and Girls Club in just one night. Many participants hope this event continues to take place at Burke in future years.
“I think this is a fun experience for everyone, I would encourage anyone to do it,” freshman Landon Creighton said. “It is a bonding experience you can have with your friends while also supporting your school at the same time. It’s a win-win.”